On October 19th, the European Space Agency’s ExoMars mission reaches Mars. It’s the only spacecraft to make the trip during this launch window and comprises an orbiter and a lander. There’s a lot going on and WeMartians will be there every step of the way!
Get yourself totally revved up with this animation of the ExoMars mission using Kerbal Space Program (I had a productive weekend).
- ExoMars will make a small trim manoeuvre to pinpoint the landing trajectory.
- 07:52 PDT/10:52 EDT – Schiaparelli Lander separates from Trace Gas Orbiter (1Mkm from Mars)
- 05:00 PDT/08:00 PDT – WeMartians Live Twitter Coverage Begins
- 06:19 PDT/09:19 EDT – Trace Gas Orbiter begins insertion burn
- 07:52 PDT/10:52 EDT – Schiaparelli enters the atmosphere
- 07:58 PDT/10:58 EDT – Schiaparelli lands on the surface of Mars
- 08:23 PDT/11:23 EDT – Trace Gas Orbiter insertion burn ends
After the mission, we’ll be recording an ExoMars podcast episode with a special guest to talk all about the exciting science ahead for the Trace Gas Orbiter and Schiaparelli. Look for it in our podcast stream the week after arrival.