The Opportunity Rover hasn’t been heard from since June 10th, and things are starting to look dire. NASA recently released a new plan to recover the intrepid Mars explorer but the plan hasn’t convinced everyone of its merit just yet. Engineer and former rover driver Mike Seibert returns to the show to talk about the plan, how it compares with Spirit’s recovery, and why some may not be as excited about it as others.
We talk NASA’s Opportunity Recovery Plan
- NASA’s Press Release on the new Opportunity Rover Plan
- Is NASA’s Opportunity Mars Rover Doomed?
- Planetary Society’s August Deep Dive
- Deep Space Network’s DSN Now
Previous Coverage of Opportunity
- Episode 29: A Teenage Rover (feat. Mike Seibert)
- Episode 44: Ashes to Ashes, Clay to Dust (feat. Mark Lemmon)
Follow Mike Seibert
Follow Jake & WeMartians
- Website (www.wemartians.com)
- Patreon (www.patreon.com/wemartians)
- WeMartians Shop (shop.wemartians.com)
- Twitter (@we_martians)
- Jake’s Twitter (@JakeOnOrbit)
- The Off-Nominal Podcast
WeMartians is sponsored by MOVA Globes. Visit the site and use the code WEMARTIANS for 10% off your order of one of these really great looking pieces shipping to the Americas. They rotate without cords or batteries! Patrons, check your Patreon account for a special Patron-only discount code. Thanks to MOVA Globes for helping us explore Mars together.
WeMartians music is “RetroFuture”, “Electrodoodle”, and “On My Way” by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/