113 - What Makes a Planet (feat. Phil Metzger)
Play Episode (50:48)
In 2006, the IAU voted to define "Planet" in a way that had a profound impact on planetary science, most notably with regards to Pluto. But what is the story behind this decision, and why is it important to the field of exploration? Dr Phil Metzger joins Jake to talk about his new paper covering the very subject, and explains the context behind culture and science's different views on the subject.
We talk Pluto, Planets, and Taxonomy
- Moons are planets: Scientific usefulness versus cultural teleology in the taxonomy of planetary science (Phil's Paper)
Follow Jake & WeMartians
- Patreon (https://www.wemartians.com/support)
- WeMartians Shop (shop.wemartians.com)
- Mailing List (https://wemartians.com/signup)
- Twitter (@we_martians)
- Jake’s Twitter (@JakeOnOrbit)
- Off-Nominal Podcast
Learn about time on Mars! See live mission clocks, learn about sols and Mars years and solar longitude, and discover your Martian birthday! Visit Marsti.me, a new site from Jake.
Tharsis Planetary Park
Celebrate Mariner 9's 50th anniversary with the Tharsis Planetary Park design at the WeMartians shop today! You can get it in a t-shirt or on a coffee mug.