122 - Uranus Awaits (feat. Amy Simon)
Play Episode (34:43)
Last month, the new Planetary Science Decadal Survey was released and recommended as its top flagship mission a Uranus Orbiter and Probe. It's been 36 years since we last visited the Ice Giant, and now the science community is ready to take a closer look. Dr. Amy Simon from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center joins Jake to talk about the mission, how it works, and why it's so important to understand the Ice Giants.
We talk Uranus, Orbiters and Probes
- Planetary Science Decadal Survey 2023-2032
- The full Uranus Orbiter and Probe Study
- All the Mission Concept Studies from the Decadal
Follow Jake & WeMartians
- Patreon (https://www.wemartians.com/support)
- WeMartians Shop (shop.wemartians.com)
- Mailing List (https://wemartians.com/signup)
- Twitter (@we_martians)
- Jake’s Twitter (@JakeOnOrbit)
- Off-Nominal YouTube
Learn about time on Mars! See live mission clocks, learn about sols and Mars years and solar longitude, and discover your Martian birthday! Visit Marsti.me, a new site from Jake.
Probe Uranus Design
Lean in to the jokes and stand behind the Decadal Survey's recommendation to probe Uranus by picking up the new design at the WeMartians shop today! You can get it in a t-shirt or on a coffee mug. Explore the mysteries of Uranus today.
Pioneer 10 was the first spacecraft to cross the asteroid belt and explore Jupiter up close!